calming agua fresca

calming agua fresca is possibly the most refreshing and replenishing summertime drink you can get your hands on. consisting of high water content fruits like watermelon, cucumber and lime, it’s sure to up your hydration game.

in fact, reaching for watermelon or cucumber after finishing an intense workout has the potential to hydrate your body more effectively than a plain glass of water because they provide you with the natural sugars, amino acids, mineral salts and vitamins otherwise lost through sweat during exercise.

eating foods that help you stay hydrated is important not only for the thirst quenching effects, but also to improve and sustain your state of well-being.

after all, your body is 60% water.

watermelon, as the name implies, is a melon mostly made of water. 92% to be exact. and cucumbers contain more water per serving than any other fruit or vegetable. they weigh in at a whooping 96%!

proper hydration is important especially if you are looking to lose weight, clear up your skin, or rid yourself of fatigue because improper hydration is the number ONE cause of fatigue.

dehydration is also linked to headaches, grumpiness and impaired focus. yuck. yuck. and yuck.

an estimated 75% of adults are chronically dehydrated.

chronic dehydration depletes your body of the amino acids needed to produce melatonin, the hormone responsible for your body’s natural sleep/wake schedule. with dehydration being a powerful roadblock to the production of an important sleep hormone, it’s hard to both fall asleep AND stay asleep.

this means that drinking an appropriate amount of water affects the quality of EVERY hour in the day.

with the addition of the lime juice you get an extra alkalinizing boost PLUS high concentrations of vitamin c help promote the formation of collagen which the body naturally produces less of as we age.

similar to collagen, the skin’s content of vitamin c declines with age, sun exposure and pollutants you face daily. because vitamin c is high in antioxidants it is a major key in collagen synthesis so it helps to decrease visible signs of aging. it essentially plumps up your skin to keep you not only looking vibrant but also feeling refreshed.

above all, this drink is delicious which, in my opinion, is the number one concern. and because calming agua fresca is blended and not juiced, the fiber remains in tact as well so bottoms up, let’s get hydrated!

calming agua fresca

4 cups watermelon, chopped

1/2 cup sliced and then frozen cucumber

1-2 limes, juiced

blend all ingredients on high until well mixed. makes about 1 quart.

pro tip: add lime juice first to help start the blending process.

check out my other go-to’s to keep hydrated when the temperatures are high:

cucumber inphyused water

ice cold cucumber limeade or lemonade

cucumber attack green juice

cucumber aloe juice cooler

what’s your favorite summertime hydration routine? comment below.

Comments

20 Responses to “calming agua fresca”
  1. Stacy says:

I am a HUGE advocate for water consumption so I love this post! I am definitely trying this recipe. Pinning for future use- thank you for sharing! xox Stacy

2. Ana says:

This post was so educational! I’m amazed at how many people are chronically dehydrated! This recipe sounds so yummy I’m going to try it after a workout! Thanks!

3. I don’t really have a summertime hydration routine, but I do make smoothies a lot!

4. Sarah says:

Such a refreshing summer drink, I love watermelon in any form!

5. Cat says:

Mmmm this sounds so good!! I’m always on the hunt for a new drink recipe to try! Thanks for the inspo!

6. RM says:

This looks so delicious!!

7. Mayuri says:

Yummmmm….this is awesome. Love this refreshing drink…need to try it out 🙂

8. Andi says:

Oh, I am headed to a beach vacation next week! I’ll be bringing this recipe with me! Hydrate on the beach!

9. Joscelyn says:

Thank you for the interesting stats and the idea of such a refreshing-looking drink. I love watermelon so I’ll have to try this.

10. Mindy says:

This looks so refreshing. I never thought to use cucumber too.

11. Oh, yum! I have heard about this but never actually knew what it was. I have to definitely try it, sounds delish!

12. yolonda says:

I love watermelon, cucumber, and lime…so what’s not to love about this recipe! Seriously, this is a great idea because I never thought about this combination…now I have to try it.

13. I made agua fresca once a couple of years ago and then completely forgot about it! Can’t wait to give your recipe a try 🙂

14. I’m Mexican, and I’ve known agua frescas my entire life. The cucumber lime agua fresca always makes me feel better.

15. Love watermelon! Definitely going to have to try this!

16. This sounds like a wonderfully delicious summer drink to have. I haven’t tried it yet, but now I want to do it.

17. Willow says:

This sounds perfect for Summer! I go through phases of juicing green drinks, and I think it’s time to get back into it! I think I will start with this one!

18. Dori says:

I strive to drink at least 80 oz of water every day, whether plain or infused. I usually just do a lemon and cucumber water if I’m in the mood for something more than ordinary.

19. Kori Evans says:

Oh wow! I totally did not know that stat about dehydration! Very informitive! And this drink sounds amazing!! Pinning this so I can try it out! Thanks!!

20. Cynthia says:

I love the idea of having watermelon + cucumber after a workout, it sounds so refreshing and revitalising! And with the lime juice! Can’t wait to try it! Thank you!